Copyright


All images © Peter Garrity - note image quality is affected by blogger - originals have significantly better resolution and sharpness

HOOPOE

Collingham, West Yorkshire  05-10-2020

I made a morning visit to this location, arriving at dawn. I walked around the local streets hoping to see this long-staying bird but without success. I then moved on to the adjacent sports field where the bird had been seen feeding regularly. After about an hour and after a few more photographers/birders had arrived, the bird appeared in the centre of the field literally yards away. Here it stayed until I left around 11am.

I met a few friends including Paul Coombes and we had a bit of a chat whilst socially distancing - as the bird fed it often approached us very closely and I managed to capture a few decent shots and a short video. No-one pushed the bird unnecessarily and it was a good experience for everyone, including the bird. A great showy bird which didn't disappoint as it flexed its wings and threw grubs into air before swallowing.






































No comments:

Post a Comment